How To Get Over Regrets – One Simple Solution

Regret. This is such a heavy feeling, and carrying it with you throughout your life can be detrimental. You don’t have to, you can free yourself from this feeling. In this article I am going to give you the one tool you need to help you get over your regrets.

1. Change Your Perception

It is impossible to live a life in which you do not mess up. In which you do not hurt someone. In which you find yourself in the kind of situation where you end up making the wrong decision. Impossible.

Your failures are not you, so don’t identify with what you’ve done wrong. The moment you allow your successes or failures to dictate how you feel, the less power you will have over your mind and yourself.

No mistake is ever wasted if you learn from it. That is the whole point of making mistakes, it is a necessary experience that you need to go through in order to learn and evolve. You have to feel the pain in order to grow, there is no getting around it.

Even if you make the same mistake several times, it is still not something to be perceived negatively if you learned something from it that made you a better person.

[Tweet “Your mistakes are not your fate”]

Learn to view failure this way, once you truly do, you will no longer be afraid of it and it will no longer plague you.

Your mistakes are a part of your story, they are what give your life color and zest. They are proof that you had the courage to perhaps take a risk, that there is some part of you that does want to grow, and is still searching, but didn’t quite find what it was looking for.

Your mistakes are simply a reflection of the fact that you are a human being, so don’t be so hard on yourself. It is o.k. to screw up, and you don’t have to suffer years afterwards because of it.

You only suffer if you allow yourself to, you can control your state of mind. You are in control of that, not the world. So change your perception of your past mistakes and re-frame your failures so you can move forward.

“Anyone who is never made a mistake has never tried anything new”

-Albert Einstein

Have you ever done anything you’ve felt guilty about? How did you cope with it? Share your story with us below.

Lyra

Comments (14)

1. Cathy

I was taught from very young that mistakes are for learning, not for regretting. So every time I found myself making one, I don’t mourn about it. I view it positively and even research on how I can make things better for the future.

β€œNever Regret Anything, Because At One Time It Was Exactly What You Wanted.”

2. candy

Great article, very thought provoking and to the point. I’m looking forward to more posts!

1. Lyra (Post author)

Thank you Cathy!

2. Lyra (Post author)

Thank you Candy. I am looking forward to writing more posts πŸ˜€

3. Robin

It is a very good attitude you have. We are constantly learning. It is what we need to do to grow. Wonderful post. Robin

1. Lyra (Post author)

If we didn’t learn and grow, life would be so boring haha. Thank you Robin.

4. Gunnar Moon

Very enlightening article!

1. Lyra (Post author)

Thanks Gunnar!

5. Nieve

Well, I used to do a lot of mistake in the past. Sometime, I would rather have time machine invented, so I can back to the time and do the right things.

But I realize that learn to let go is one of important lessons in our life too.

Nice topic by the way. πŸ™‚

1. Lyra (Post author)

Yea I’ve been there. I have made a lot of mistakes in my past that caused me a lot of shame, and wishing that I could go back. But, you can’t…so I realized that it is a waste of time and energy wishing for that.

“Successful people don’t make the right decisions, they make their decisions right”

They only thing you can do is become a better person from your mistakes and use your lessons learned to make the right choices in the future.

6. Lloyd

I like the way you look at the making of mistakes. Because we all make them. And as you state here, it’s a learning experience. We just need to move on and grow.

1. Lyra (Post author)

Exactly, that is the main point of my post that I am hoping my readers can take away from it. Thank you for your input πŸ™‚

7. Carla Ives

Excellent advice. We can’t change the reality of some things, but we CAN change the way we see it.

1. Lyra (Post author)

Exactly, the thing that you have 100% control of is your mind.